And in the meantime, please review our Adoption Application Form to ensure you are able to meet the criteria. If you can’t, particularly when it comes to size of hutch and where it will be housed, then you may need to re-think whether guinea pigs are right for you.
We also respectfully ask that you don’t turn up to look at the guinea pigs without an appointment. We are usually short staffed by volunteers who need to focus on cleaning and feeding the 70 or so piggies in our care every morning and we don’t hear from 8 out of 10 on spec visitors so maybe you can understand that our time is precious. Most rescues are the same and it’s not that we don’t want you to adopt, rather that we don’t have the people power to show on spec visitors around. But once we have your application or have started an email dialogue, we will be more than happy to make an appointment for you to view the piggies.
1. Email us your completed Application Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your application and get back to you as soon as possible with any queries.
2. If you wish to proceed, please ensure you have everything you need, prior to the home visit. Although we are more than happy to advise if you don’t yet have equipment so you avoid expensive mistakes on buying hutches or runs which may not be suitable. We sometimes stock new or used equipment in our shop, the proceeds of which go directly into the charity so we can help you every step of the way to get your home ready for guinea pigs – whether you buy from us or not.
4. When you are ready we will liaise with you to arrange the home visit. The home visitors are there to help you and give any advice you may need.
5. Subject to a successful home visit, an appointment can be made to choose and collect the guinea pigs. We also offer free hands on sessions to learn the basics on how to care for your pigs to keep them in good health.
6. You will also be asked to make a free, quarterly health check appointment for worming, nail clipping and checks for any abnormalities